In a fast-changing healthcare landscape, locum tenens professionals provide temporary services for hospitals, outpatient medical centers, military, and government facilities.
Locum tenens physicians can practice anywhere in the U.S., whether in their hometown or for a medical facility across the state. Contracts vary in length from a few weeks to a couple of months and all logistics, from onboarding to credentialing, are handled by a third party, a locums company.
Around 94% of U.S. healthcare facilities use locum tenens each year and are seeing significant positive changes on all levels. Here are some of the main reasons why you should consider this staffing solution:
Why Hire Locum Tenens Physicians
- To supplement staffing needs during peak seasons. Take a load off your permanent healthcare workers and make significant savings by hiring locum tenens. More than 42% of physicians experience burnout, which not only impacts their ability to provide high-quality care, but it also makes them more inclined to leave their job. Whether it’s during the open enrollment, end of the year, or around flu season, temporary physicians will help you meet the increased demand without putting a strain on your existing team. If you need, you can also extend assignments and enjoy extra help for as long as you need.
- You get access to critical specialties. Anesthesiologists, dermatologists, and gastroenterologists are hard to come by in all locations, including rural and metropolitan areas. Demand has also risen for physicians on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic such as pulmonologists or infectious disease specialists and this trend is here to stay. Recent projections from the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) show that the physician demand will continue to grow faster than supply. Locum tenens services allow you to bring the right talent on board and stay ahead of the competition while increasing the quality of care.
- Experience improved patient satisfaction. These professionals often bring unique clinical skills and experience, and their contribution will free up your team to spend more meaningful, one-on-one time with patients. There is also a strong correlation between locum tenens physicians and lower readmission rates. In a 2017 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), patients cared for by locum tenens physicians had lower 30-day readmissions, compared with patients within the same hospital who were treated by non-locum tenens physicians.
- Expand your practice. If you notice an untapped medical need in your community, now is the best time to fill it. Companies for locum tenens can put you in touch with providers that are well-versed in exactly the type of service you hope to implement. For example, if you’re thinking about starting an orthopedic surgery department, consider relying on locums until you’re ready to hire full-time orthopedic surgeons. If the initiative doesn’t go as planned, your losses will be minimal.
- They cost less to employ and they fit in with the rest of your team. According to the National Association of Locum Tenens Organizations (NALTO), it costs thousands of dollars more to hire a permanent staff member versus using locums on an as-needed basis. It’s important to mention that locum tenens providers go to great lengths to pre-screen these physicians and make sure they are a good cultural fit. Switching locums is as simple as asking the agency to accommodate you.
Let Us Help You Bring in Locum Tenens Physicians
Finding qualified, short-term staffing can revolutionize your entire system and help you reduce costs while raising the standard of care. This is why, at AerMed Logistix, we connect healthcare organizations and anesthesiology practices with high-quality, permanently credentialed anesthesia doctors and CRNAs. As an acclaimed professional anesthesia staffing group, we only staff Board Certified Anesthesiologists (MDAs) and Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) for our clients.
We offer assistance with administrative matters such as malpractice coverage and scheduling so you can focus on continuing to improve lives. Led by practicing anesthesiologists, AerMed Logistix can anticipate your needs and find doable, sustainable solutions, With us, you enjoy complete flexibility. There are no long-term contracts, recruiting fees, overtime charges, malpractice costs, and FICA taxes. You can also gain peace of mind knowing that we’ll cover the vetting expenses.
Interested in expanding your team with minimal effort and costs? Contact us today and we’ll match you with the best locum tenens anesthesiologists.